Monday, October 24, 2011

My Cinderella Experience

Last night, I saw a limousine...including the interior. :)

For several years, my family has been very close to an Italian family from Ohio, whom we have affectionately labeled: "The Italian Mafia" (they refer to us as "The Irish Mafia, but we diverge from the point of this entry).  Last Thursday, the mother and eldest daughter arrived in town for their annual/bi-annual take-over of our home, and the festivities commenced.  Little did I know that months before, they had planned to surprise my sisters, mother, and myself with our very first limousine ride!  On Sunday, as we were dressing for the day, which would culminate in church, they both encouraged us to take our dressing up a notch, which we readily did, suspecting nothing, for they already dress tastefully.  We purchased various snacks at one point, which I assumed to be the mother's personal craving.  As we stepped into our home church meeting, the ladies quipped, "Did we miss the memo?" due to our coordinating black/brown dress theme.  Twice my mom had mentioned our friends' being the Mafia and warned everyone to beware, little realizing the depth of her injunctions.  Two hours later, as the sermon was wrapping up, the door bell rang forth, causing the home owner to investigate.  I assumed some random neighbor was there, and re-focused on the message.  Some moments passed, and soon I observed that our two friends were now by the entry, whispering.  A moment later, my mom and sisters were beckoning me to come, saying, "We are leaving".  Dumbfounded, I hurriedly assembled my belongings, and tripped to the door.  There, on the curb, gleamed the jet black limousine guarded by the chauffeur, who stood at attention to hold the door open for our entry!!!  In utter shock, I stumbled down the steps to Bruce, who assisted me into the luxurious interior.  Sparkling apple cider, water, and soft drinks perched upon the many cup rests, and the three snacks we had bought earlier were tastefully arranged in bowls!  After much laughing and explaining, our friend, Mrs. C., began playing the upbeat CD she had brought, and our mysterious journey unfolded.  Rapid picture-taking, giggling, and pure joy illuminated the dim atmosphere within, and it was no time before we arrived at a local theater (which happened to be my final and correct guess of our destination).  After turning in the tickets our friends had purchased for us, we settled down into a packed, elegantly-designed music hall.  Moments later, the group appeared on stage.  Thus began my very first experience with the a capella, men's group, the Straight No Chasers!!! :)  Every harmony was immaculate, each singer's dance move in sync with the others' motions, and the excitement palpable.  Immediately our group of five was swaying to the beat of various oldies, newer tunes, and original pieces brought to life.  Being a musician involved in several vocal venues, it was even more of a delight to absorb all the mastery flooding my eyes and ears.  They created instrumental sounds employing only their bodies, and one of them even did the splits.  America's Most Talented, anyone? ;)

At last the concert drew to a close, and after we awarded them with two, standing ovations, we emerged from the theater, radiant and with minds set on one of life's essentials: Sheridan's Frozen Custard.  Bruce picked us up promptly, and soon our friends treated not only ourselves, but him to the delights of the season.  Before he dropped us off that night, he shared that in his about 25 years of chauffeuring, none of his passengers had ever bought him anything.  You gotta love that Italian Mafia. :)

I imagine that the emotions that surged within me during this evening were as close to what Cinderella must have felt as she, transformed from her servant's state, was borne to the ball where the Prince awaited.  Now, if only my prince had materialized, one of my many nicknames would have proven itself accurate! ;)

The two-fold moral of the story is as follows:

1) If in doubt, always dress up (and have your hair French-braided, if a woman).

2) It doesn't hurt to keep up good relations betwixt oneself and those sly, fun-loving Italians. ;)

Amo la vida dolce! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment